History

History

How it all began

On November 5, 1887, Carl Friedrich William Holländer opened the “Deutsche Fruchtweinschenke, verbunden mit Speisewirtschaft” (fruit wines and catering) on the site of today’s “Hotel zur Börse”. Mr. Holländer was well known, he was a prominent figure in Hamelin and was beloved and appreciated as an innkeeper. On February 11, 1888, William Holländer announced the opening of his inn “Zur Börse”. The inn was named after the grain exchange, which was previously situated there. The inn was in the “Osterstraße” until it became a victim to a fire in 1894. It was then rebuilt in the back part of the ground and remained there until today. The inn was leased out in 1910. In 1916, William Holländer died.

historie-familie-hollaender

 

The second generation takes over the “Börse”

William Holländer had a son who took over the business of his late father after his return from the First World War. He completed his training as a chef in the officer‘s mess of the riding academy of Hannover. Together with his wife, he re-opened the now-derelict “Börse” on 1 October 1919 and turned it into one of the most popular guesthouses in Hamelin.

In 1927, the back part of the building of the Börse was newly re-built. In this form, it existed until the end of the Second World War consisting of a cozy guest dining room, the kitchen (it survived the destruction of 1945!), a Hall on the first floor and a number of guest rooms then of a quite modern standard. A room cost at the time between two and three marks!

The “Börse” after World War II

The war raged in Germany, but initially the “Börse” was spared and in full operation. During this time, it was even used as a refugee shelter for many evacuees from Hannover or Hamburg. In the end, it was also not spared; on April 6, 1945, the “Börse” caught fire and except for the kitchen and the basement rooms, it was completely burnt down. The spared large air-raid shelter, served as living quarters for the family and shortly thereafter, in January 1946, the family Holländer opened here the legendary “Börsenkeller”. Like all families in Germany, the Holländers had no choice but to roll up their sleeves and continue. They began with the reconstruction so that they succeeded with much diligence to open the restaurant in June 1949 and start the hotel operation in August. In the guestbook, you found the entry “hardship and fire pass, but the Börse remains strong!”

The wild years of the 60s and 70s

The hotel and restaurant were very popular and well visited. The success inspired the Holländer family and thus they added a building extension in 1961. The extension included the enlargement of the guest rooms, the “Börsenstübchen”, a large hall and additional 24 hotel rooms. In 1968 the Holländer family leased out the restaurant. The son Ernst-Wilhelm Holländer now the third generation, took over the hotel operation. Significant problems arose due to the restorations of the old city decided upon by the town of Hamelin. An access road was supposed to pass through the back part of the site, to relieve the “Osterstraße” designated as a pedestrian zone. This would lead through the middle of the building. A solution was found. In the autumn of 1978, a neighboring plot of land was purchased, on which finally a new building was built, replacing the demolished parts.

historie-hotel-neubau

The new Börse

The festive inauguration of the new “Börse” was held on February 15, 1980. The new tenants Hermann and Ursula Ulrichs took over the business in 1985.

In 1999, the family Güse bought the real estate and the business. They undertook a complete renovation of the “Börse” and led it further onto the road of success. With this renovation, the restaurant and hotel were joined again.

In 2007, the family acquired also the property directly at the “Osterstraße” so that now the Börse returned to its original location. After a complete renovation, the “Grand-Café täglich” was opened here.

There followed further renovations and extensions in 2008 and in 2015 creating new rooms and renovating old ones.

Since January 2016, the Börse is managed by the second generation of Güse: daughter Katja and husband Lars are since then the dedicated hosts. Now it is in their hands, to carry on the tradition of this historic house.

Then, as now, Goethe’s words apply, which could be read for many years at the exit of the “Börse”:

“Enter joyfully and happily depart again.
If you leave as a hiker on your way,
God bless your path! “

historie-hotel-schild

BOOK NOW