header("Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-utf-8"); ?>
The house of the Pied Piper in Hamelin
The facade of the Pied Piper house is unique and impressive. In the building, there is a restaurant, where a private collection of works of art can be seen. It is a secret known as “after work museum”.
The inscription on the House of 1602 is:
ANNO 1284 AM DAGE JOHANNIS ET PAULI WAR DER 26 JUNII DORCH EINEN PIPER MIT ALLERLEI FARVE BEKLEDET GEWESEN CXXX KINDER VERLEDET BINNEN HAMELEN GEBON TO CALVARIE BI DEN KOPPEN VERLOREN
(On 26 June of the year, 1284 on the day of St. John and St. Paul there was a piper dressed up in all sorts of colorful clothes who seduced 130 children born in Hamelin to be lost at Calvarie by the Koppen)
Bungelosenstraße in Hamelin
This road was mentioned for the first time in 1475 and is the “Street without drums”. It is a reminder of the exodus of the children as described in the legend of the Pied Piper. On this road, the children were supposed to have left Hamelin in 1284 towards the East. In memory of this sad event, “neither dancing nor string playing may take place” here.
Pied Piper moving figures
Do you know already the legend of the Pied Piper? The wonderful Pied Piper moving figures is a popular Glockenspiel (chimes) on the west gable of the Hochzeitshaus in the Osterstraße 2 relating this legend in a musical style. It is played daily at 13:05h, 15:35h and 17:35h.
Here you can learn everything there is to know about the history of the town of Hamelin and its surroundings. The Hamelin Museum has been renovated a few years ago and is now really worth a visit! The focus is of course on the famous Pied Piper legend.
Opening times: Tuesday – Sunday from 11:00h – 18:00h
Jost Rike House Osterstraße
This House is one of the most important Renaissance buildings in the town. In the tail gable is located, a diamond-shaped space with a freestanding sculptured chimera. Two bow windows (ground floor level round bay windows) flank the entrance. Alderman Jost Rike built this house in the year 1576.
Exciting for big and small boys, the museum of Hamelin automobile history is located in the Hefehof in Hamelin and is worth a visit.
Opening times: Fri 15:00h – 18:00h, Sat. 11:00h – 16:00h
St. Bonifatius Cathedral
Münsterkirchhof 7 in Hamelin
Church services have been celebrated here for more than 1,200 years. The carved stones tell of the faith and hope of the people who have built and looked after this church. In summer, the Cathedral is open daily from 9:00h to 18:00h. From November until March, the Cathedral is open from 10:00h to 17:00h.
Show glass blowing Hamelin
Am Pulverturm 1 / Kastanienwall
In Hamelin’s glass blowing factory, visitors not only learn everything worth knowing about the history and the technique of glass making, but may also blow their own glass souvenir. This is an adventure for the whole family.